Be prepared for the new term
- DBS Checks: Owing to the pandemic, lots of DBS checks were extended to 1 September 2021 - if yours needs completing, get in contact with your local commissioner, and dig out suitable ID.
- A Safe Space: All volunteers need to complete A Safe Space level 1, and most need to complete level 2, both of which are e-learning modules which can be completed when it's convenient to you. Remember, there must be a level 3 A Safe Space holder at every unit meeting, so make sure at least one of your leadership team has an up to date certificate. It is also strongly recommended that more than one of you has it, so you're always covered. Our region virtual level 3 sessions are listed on our events & training page. You might have read in the recent edition of Making guiding happen, that after 7 September, RPL will not be able to be applied to level 3, but you’ve still got time to apply before the deadline! If you think you qualify, carefully read the guidelines, complete the form, and email it to us.
- 1st Response: At least one person at every unit meeting must have a valid first aid qualification. 1st Response courses are delivered locally, so if you need to complete or refresh your training, get in touch with your local commissioner. Certificates that expired after 16 March 2020 were allowed a completion window of six months to complete their practical session, whilst still being considered as compliant. This extension window ends 12 October, so please ensure you complete your practical before then to ensure your unit remains compliant!
- More training sessions can be accessed via GO. Log in and select ‘Learning Opportunities’. There you'll find lots more courses, including A Safe Space, risk assessments, promotion and recruitment, the programme, mentoring, unit accounts and more!
- Check out the help files in GO. When you log in, click on the ‘help’ tab along the top of the page to find the ‘Preparing for the Start of Term’ document.
Accounts, budgeting and funding
- Plan your unit budget for the year - remember to include your venue hire and your annual subscription to Girlguiding. For top tips on budgeting, a spreadsheet template and a handy video, click here.
- Finalise your unit accounts for the year and send the verified accounts sheet to your local commissioner.
- For fab fundraising tips, including Gift Aid, easyFundraising, grants and bursaries, see this page.
Get ready for the girls!
- Communicate with parents about the new term and how you will be meeting.
- Ask parents of new members to complete the relevant Starting... form.
- Ensure the appropriate consent forms are obtained and relevant permissions updated.
- Make sure that parent contact details are up-to-date.
- Ask all parents to sign a Gift Aid Form, where applicable.
- Processed existing and new enquiries to the relevant stages on GO.
- Check GO accurately reflects the girls in your unit.
- Ask parents if they would like to help in areas such as finance, admin, social media, or any other jobs that would help you to run your unit - flexible volunteering is a great way to help out!