We're very excited to announce that, later this month, we'll be launching our brand-new Clever Cogs engineering extravaganza in partnership with BAE Systems - Clever Cogs Making Waves.
Join us at 17:20 on International Women in Engineering Day, 23 June, for an exciting virtual event, to get a first look at our brand-new challenge. By joining in with this event, young members will complete half of the activities they need to do to earn their badge, so just a few more to do in the unit, or at home!
The event is open to all our sections, from Rainbows through to Rangers, and we promise there’ll be something for everyone in the form of fun, mess, slime and crafting! Guides and Rangers will also have the opportunity to join a special Q&A session to chat to some of the BAE Systems engineers about what it’s like to work in engineering.
There are two ways to take part in this event, either as part of your unit meeting or, if you don't meet on Wednesday evenings, you can take part from home. Depending on how you will be taking part, there are two ways to book:
- Leaders should click here to book places for their whole unit
- Parents and carers should book places by clicking here. Girls joining the event from home will also need to complete a Virtual Meeting Consent Form.
You'll be sent the link to join nearer to the event, so please make sure you give us the correct email address. You'll need to have access to a computer and an internet connection in order to take part in this live event.
Bookings for this event close 20th June, so please ensure you've booked your place and returned your consent form by then to gain access to the event.
To take part in this event, you'll need to gather the following equipment...
FOR FUN WITH FOSSILISATION YOU'LL NEED:
- ½ Cup of Plain Flour
- ¼ Cup of Table Salt
- ¼ Cup of Water
- Mixing Bowl
- Rolling Pin
- Biscuit Cutter
- (To cook) tray lined with baking paper
- A Spoon
TO MAKE OCEAN PUTTY YOU'LL NEED
- 150g Cornflour
- 120ml Washing up liquid
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring jug
- Weighing scales
- Spoon x 2
- Food colouring (Blue if possible)
- Eco-friendly glitter (Optional)
- Air-tight box or plastic zipped bag
- Plastic gloves (optional)
AND FOR OH BUOY YOU'LL NEED:
- Washing up tub filled with water
- Small plastic tub (e.g. old takeaway tub)
- Stones (used for weights, you’ll need enough to sink your boat)
- Table salt (1 Cup)